Thursday, April 26, 2012

X is for Xenophilia


Xenophilia is such a friendly word.  It is, of course, Greek and the translation is "friendly to foreigners."

As I was a foreigner living in the UK for ten years, I have some firsthand knowledge and can relate. 

Were people friendly to me?  Almost to a person, they were.  I have no complaints, and London is one of my favorite cities in the world.

Unfortunately, though, there are some people who don't feel quite as welcomed in foreign lands as I did in the UK.  During my time there, I did not take a job away from a British citizen.  I helped support the economy and paid taxes. 

We have people in the United States who are in the same position that I was across our mutual pond.  It would be wonderful if we welcomed them during their time in our country, and for the most part, we do.

Let's try to be at least a little Xenophilic, and welcome those foreigners who are traveling, doing a job or becoming a United States citizen.  We'll all feel so much better!

2 comments:

  1. I agree-- we should be more xenophilic toward others who visit us--from other countries, states, cities-- I find that if you get to know someone you might learn something new and I love to learn!!

    (Yay!! I found my way over here!!) Thanks for visiting my blog today--I am now following you :)

    Cheers, Jenn
    http://www.wine-n-chat.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHat a great series. I am glad I found you even though today is the letter z!




    Mimi Torchia Boothby

    ReplyDelete