Thursday, April 5, 2012

F is for Friends

Now I know everyone thinks s/he has the best friends in the world, but I really do!  And I know writing anything about friendship is shopworn at best.  But here goes anyway...

Stan and Kathy Burcham and Us
My family and I have been fortunate to live in several places, including London for almost ten years.  Why is that important?  Because even when you leave, you take your friends with you, and more crucially, you never throw them away.

I've always thought the measure of  my friendship with a person is to remain close, so close that you can take up the same conversation as when you last met and never miss that proverbial beat.
Nancy, Ed Elliott, Michele Elliott, Patricia


Do you lose some along the way?  Unfortunately, it can happen.  You don't mean for it to occur, but some people, alas, do not have the staying power and/or effort it takes to remain friends.  Happily, not many!  (Through the years, I can really say it's only been one.)

So what is it, that intangible, magical, can't live well without thing called friendship?  Trust, constancy, intimacy, loyalty, a degree of like-mindedness and the list goes on. 

Norm and Gerald Duff

For those of us who have moved a bit, friends are coinage.  For those of us who have not moved at all, friends are coinage.  Doesn't matter.  The only thing that does matter is working on continuing the relationship in an adult way, staying in touch whenever possible and being grateful they are in our lives! 

I'll leave you with this axiom on friendship by Oprah Winfrey:

Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.
Pat Stephens






















9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. Friends truly are coinage and are incalculably valuable.

    Love the Oprah quote.

    atozchallenge Dragondreamer's Lair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin, Many thanks for your lovely comment! I so appreciate it and the thought behind it. Your blog is terrific, and I am now following.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, don't forget those of us who are writing friends! Drawn together by a love of words and crafting stories. Some are just Facebook friends, but that's nice, too.

    And I see you are on the menu for SCBWI in Orlando in June. What a great lineup! Congrats to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Augusta, you are so right! It's amazing how quickly one becomes great friends, drawn together by love of the printed word. It's been such a pleasure getting to know you, and I hope it's just the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy, as Augusta says, I think of you as one of my writing friends. I hope to meet you in person in Orlando in June.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely tribute to friendship. I had the pleasure of meeting Nancy in St. Louis two years ago (wow, two years ago) and we hit it off immediately. I look forward to the day again when we can sit and chat in person.

    All the best,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the lovely comments, Donna. Strange about friendship. We spent two days together at our conference, and I count you as such a good and special friend. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post and so true. Some friends remain for life even if you don't 'see' them often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comment, Sherry. It is a remarkable truth, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete