Thursday, September 29, 2011

Chocolate Me-Beautiful New Children's Book by Taye Diggs

Actor Taye Diggs, best known for his work on Broadway and for starring in ABC's "Private Practice," has written a new children's book called "Chocolate Me!"

(See video at bottom of post.)
taye-diggs-chocolate-me.jpgThe book tells the story of a black child who is teased for looking different. But he eventually learns to embrace what sets him apart from his predominatly white neighbors with the help of his mother.

Diggs collaborated on the book with his best friend, Shane Evans, wrote it with the goal of helping kids accept their skin color.

In the words of the author:

“This book is based on a poem I wrote back in college. I remembered being 5-years-old and moving into this neighborhood where none of the kids looked like me and were very inquisitive. Questioning why I looked the way I looked and why my hair was the way it was. I remember feeling really awkward, like I didn’t fit in.

Taye and Walker Diggs
 My best friend Shane Evans is a very established publisher and had published other children’s books and he thought this concept would make a good one. We just joined forces and put a mock up together and took it to some places and here were are.

It’s great working as best friends on something that means so much to us, like self-esteem and self-awareness, especially at this time of bullying. I wrote the book to my kid.”

This one is a must-read.  It shivers with delicious language.  Every page is another heartfelt confection.  No one can resist chocolate.  And no one will be able to resist the feeling and love in this beautiful treatise to one's child.


2 comments:

  1. Looks like it's a good book and beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Barbara. I agree. It is so sensitive and beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete