Sunday, July 8, 2012

Social Networking the LinkedIn Way by Donna McDine

It is Monday Marketing with Donna McDine today!  Always so delighted to have Donna with us, and I know you are as well.  Her expertise in all things marketing is so very strong.  Do take advantage of what she has to say here about using Linkedin. 

I know I know I can hear your disgruntled gulp in your throat, “Yikes, another social network to participate in? No way, no how!” I too feel the same way at times, but definitely not with LinkedIn! I don’t want to bore you with boring statistics, but it’s important for you to know…
·         There are over 150 million professionals on LinkedIn.*
·  With over 1 million professionals joining each week, hence two professional join every second.*
·         Members are 2X more confident with information shared on LinkedIn than any other social site.*
·         Members use LinkedIn not only for networking, they are reading business news and studying trends.*
*2012 Social Media Examiner, Mario Sundar
Please don’t fade away, these statistics matter to you. With the confidence level of information shared between members this provides an arena to build your expertise through varying networks. Oftentimes authors (as well as other professionals) fall into the rut of networking with only their peers, when we truly need to broaden our scope beyond our colleagues. LinkedIn if used correctly goes well beyond this and the thought process of only being an online resume.
First, if you haven’t already signup and setup your LinkedIn profile at www.linkedin.com. It’s easy and they provide step by step directions to provide your information. Once you have your profile setup follow these five points to engage with fellow LinkedIn members:

1.      Seek new connections daily and send invites. LinkedIn has a fabulous Advanced People Search broken down into several different categories… keywords, title, location, company, school, first and last name, country, and postal code. (i.e., elementary school teachers, librarians, the list is endless).

2.      Don’t forget to reply back directly to your new connection once confirmation is received (i.e., I’m delighted to connect with you at LinkedIn and look forward to learning more about you).

3.      Research groups of interest the same way for people connections. Join and become active through conversations, questions and answers.

4.      Update your status consistently with a course of action for visitors with either a question or interesting news article (i.e., “New Google table to go against Fire” by Michael Liedtke, Associated Press and include link).

5.      Engage with fellow members by sharing and commenting on their status updates, send private emails, etc.)
Automating your blog and twitter handle feed is okay, but if you don’t engage personally connections will not feel compelled to engage with you. I know for myself, the constant automation of customer service lines, doctor offices, etc., frustrates me to no end. I want to talk to a live person that knows what they are talking about.
Don’t fall into robot automation. Let your personality shine through cyberspace through consistent engagement. I’m sure you will be pleased with your results.
I’m taking August off from guest blogging and will return in September.
Wishing you all a safe, relaxing, and happy summer!
Until next time…
Donna M. McDine

Publicist & Award-winning Children's Author
Donna’s Website: http://www.donnamcdine.com
Write What Inspires You Blog: http://www.donna-mcdine.blogspot.com
Author PR Services: http://www.authorprservices.com

21 comments:

  1. Hello Nancy,

    I'm delighted to be here today! I'm looking forward to checking back in throughout the day.

    All the best,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a pleasure having you write on the blog! I look forward to it selfishly, as I always learn from you. Thanks, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy,

      I'm thrilled you find my marketing articles helpful. Our partnership of guest blogging is certainly working out well.

      Thanks for your never ending support.

      Best wishes,
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Hi, Donna and Nancy,

    Good article, Donna. I'm noticing more freelancing opportunities seem to be coming my way via linkedin lately, so I definitely need to be more active there.

    Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne,

      Glad to hear LinkedIn is becoming a resource for you.

      Best regards,
      Donna

      Delete
    2. Hi, Suzanne,

      Thanks for the comment. It's great to have you visit the blog on Donna's behalf!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for hosting Donna today, Nancy. I'm always happy to listen to more of her great advice. Now, if I could just have her on speed dial! LOL, I'm sure that would make your day Donna. Wishing you a relaxing enjoyable August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,

      You are a hoot! I invite you to email me any time with questions. I'll be happy to answer them if I can .

      Enjoy your summer and best wishes,
      Donna

      Delete
    2. So glad you found her post useful, Susan. So did I!

      Delete
  5. Hey Donna,

    As always you hit the nail on the head. Much to my delight, I am now an adjunct professor at a community college 10 minutes from my house. I teach a French class on Wednesday evenings. Want to know how I got that job? The director went to Linkedin and typed in French teacher in Littleton, Colorado and my profile came up. She contacted me via email and I got hired. This has been a huge boost to my self-esteem, especially after I lost my regular teaching job to a less experienced teacher. I am having a ball teaching adults. I learned a valuable lesson on the importance of keeping my profile updated. I do need to interact more with my connections. Thanks for the reminder. I so appreciate you sharing your expertise with us. Thanks Nancy, for hosting Donna.

    Nicole Weaver
    Trilingual Children's Author
    http://mysisterimybestfriend.blogspot.com
    http://marieandherfriendtheseaturtle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole,

      Woo hoo...congratulations! I'm doing the happy dance for you. When one door closes another opens. How lovely to be so close to home.

      Wishing you all the best,
      Donna

      Delete
    2. That's great news Nicole. Best to you.

      Delete
    3. Wow, you are living proof that Linkedin works! Thanks for sharing your powerful story, Nicole!

      Delete
  6. Donna, Another helpful social networking article. I use Linkedin, but do have to be more 'personally' active on it. I did get a potential writing gig through it.

    Karen Cioffi Writing and Marketing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another potential success story from Linkedin! Thanks to you for sharing!

      Delete
    2. Hi Karen,

      Terrific on the potential writing gig...very exciting!

      All the est,
      Donna

      Delete
  7. Thanks Nancy and Donna, all this good information to help us expand our internet presence. I like LinkedIn better than Facebook, but need to use both better Thanks to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a struggle to keep up with all this, if for nothing else but time. So crucial, though, as we all are finding out. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. Hi Penelope,

      Glad you enjoyed the article. Step by step and your presence will be more known.

      All the best,
      Donna

      Delete
  8. Hi Nancy and Donna, It's so nice to read a post like this that goes a step further than just explaining what LinkedIn is. It really does help to know exactly how it can be helpful. And I loved reading comments from others who have actually benefited from it. Guess I'll have to take the plunge. Thanks for such an informative article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon,

      Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you found the article useful. One step at a time...

      All the best,
      Donna

      Delete