Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Jeeves (1996 - 2012)

This is the story of a cat named Jeeves. He didn't belong to us. We belonged to him. 

 For the first time in sixteen years, Jeeves is no longer with us. Yesterday he died of renal failure after a long battle.  He was a gentle fighter and loved his life. He fought for it. We did, too. 

Jeeves was a farm kitten, and he came to us at eleven weeks, thanks to good friends.  He was a grey and white fur ball of fun and affection.  It was immediate love when we saw him, and through the years, he was loved by all who met him.  Never one to bite, scratch or hiss, he was a gentle soul, always.

Jeeves was a "cat" burglar.  He was able to open any cabinet and, when he became bored, he would do just that.  The first time he burgled his own home, we walked in and thought someone had really been there.  He never knew a cabinet he could not open.

Jeeves was a master locksmith.  He was able to open cat proof cages at the vet's or when being boarded.  As the staff would not ever believe us, he always (one time only at each place) was able to work open the lock with his paw and disappear into the room.  Funnily enough, he was found every time in the middle of the dry cat food stacks!

A very social cat, Jeeves loved nothing better than a dinner party.  He always greeted people during drinks.  He sensitively waited until most diners were finished before he slipped around chairs, rubbed legs and generally said hello again.

When everyone had retired to another room, he sat in the middle of the staircase, waiting for someone to tell him hello and, if he were really fortunate, get a pat.

All of this to say, we loved him.  We miss him and will continue to do so.  Jeeves was such an integral part of our family, part of the fabric itself.  Those of you who have been through this trauma (and I know there are many of you, dear readers), understand my need to share Jeeves with you. 

This post is my tribute to him, to his loyalty, to his life.  Goodbye, dear Jeeves. We will never forget you.

20 comments:

  1. I'm so touched by your lose and this story Nancy, I have tears in my eyes. I too lost my pet, but in a different way. Thanks for sharing about your precious Jeeves. It's a story I loved hearing about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kindness, Susan. I truly appreciate it and the comfort your comments provide.

      Delete
  2. Nancy,

    So sorry for your loss. I hope you find the strength to find another Jeeves soon. My good friend lost her cat too, and was able to recover by adopting another cat from the local dog and cat shelter.

    Nicole Weaver
    Trilingual Children's Author
    http://mysisterismybestfriend.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole, That's exactly what we're going to do. I would only get a rescued pet these days, as so many need to find homes. Thanks so much for your caring comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Nancy, Your post is a warm tribute to a sweet soul. It's painful to lose a loving, vital member of one's family and life. We've lost more than we've rescued, and all have a special place in our hearts. Our dear Miss Kitty is 16 so each day with her is a gift. May you meet a loving new cat to share your life and home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Penelope, for your caring thoughts. It sounds as if you've been through this many times, and each time it's just as difficult.

      I so appreciate what you've said here!

      Delete
  5. Dear Nancy,

    What a touching and lovely tribute to your beloved Jeeves. Sounds like quite the character!

    Blessings,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for your lovely comments. He was an unbelievable character and, in fact, our vet called him a dog-cat, since he'd come when called (always) and follow us from room to room.

      I appreciate what you've said here, so much.

      Delete
  6. What a lovey post. Certainly Jeeves was a loved friend, and for sixteen years! Quite a while for a kitty. From the looks of him, he was a dapper guy and I know the pain of such a loss. I am amazed about the cabinet doors...they can surprise us can't they!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Sharon, for your kind words. He was a dapper guy, hence his name. From the beginning, he just looked like Jeeves! Yes, they are a surprise and are such a joy to have around.

    I do appreciate your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Nancy. What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful cat. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susanne, how nice of you to comment. I so appreciate it and your sentiments as well. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful tribute. I read it with tears in my eyes. I know only too well the pain of losing a beloved pet, and I still get emotional thinking about my Kippie who I lost 11 years ago,and Buttons, 14 years ago. The pain was so bad, I thought I'd never get another cat, but Tommy "found us" shortly after we lost Kippie. It's amazing how each pet has their own personality and fulfill our lives. And, your Jeeves and Tommy could be siblings. Know you're in my thoughts and prayers, but know you gave a great pet a wonderful home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, Thank you for your heartfelt comment. These guys do still stay with us. I sometimes dream that our greyhound, Harry, and I are in my car. (He loved the car.) I'm driving around London, lost--which happened a bit, and Harry was a comfort...Your message brought that memory back. I so appreciate what you've said here.

      Delete
  11. How wonderful for you and Jeeves to have each other all those years, Nancy! My sympathy to you for your loss. He seems very special, and this is a lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many thanks, Connie, for your words of comfort. You're very kind, and I can't tell you enough how much your writing means to me. He was special, and we will always have those special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so right, Nancy--it has happened to me (as well as some of the others), and I feel for you. How comforting that you were able to put your wonderful memories of Jeeves on paper. I venture to guess you are a fan of P.G. Wodehouse and Bertie Wooster.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Barbara, not only are you 100% right, you're one of the only people who ever makes the connection! He SO looked like a Jeeves to me--and the way Wodehouse portrayed him, it was a no brainer!

    Thank you for two things: For your insightful comment and for making me laugh, which has not happened for a week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Having lost many pets over the years, I understand your grief and you have my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much, Jan. We, too, have lost pets, but none has hit as hard as this one. He was with us so long and acted more like a dog than a cat. We're missing him but know it was for the best.

    ReplyDelete