Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Story of Hope

Last week, I met a miracle at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium in Clearwater, Florida.  She is appropriately named Hope, and she is seven months old.  Hope is happy, healthy and brimming with life.  (See the You Tube video of Hope playing below.)
Hope at six months
Clearwater Marine Aquarium
On December 11, 2010, Hope was found in the Indian River Lagoon on the east coast of Florida. Staff from Hubbs-Seaworld Research mobilized quickly and located the infant dolphin.  She was attempting to nurse her dead mother.

The dolphin was evaluated and in coordination with National Marine Fisheries Service, it was determined that she would be transported to CMA for rehabilitation.


Hope at Clearwater Marine Aquarium
Photo:  Nancy Stewart
July 28, 2011
Hope is non-releasable, as she cannot gain the proper survival skills necessary for a life in the wild.  In February, National Marine Fisheries made the determination that the dolphin would maintain a permanent resident status at CMA.

She will soon be introduced to and placed with her "big sister," Winter, who was rescued five years ago from approximately the same area on the east coast of Florida.  She will also live with Panama, who has become Winter's, and hopefully, Hope's adoptive mom.
 

3 comments:

  1. So delightful to watch the video Nancy.

    I remember, years ago in Australia, going to a Marine Park on the Gold Coast and playing with the two dolphins they had there. They came right up to me as I stood at the edge of their pool. I patted their heads, sat and dangled my feet in the water, and they played with my toes as I gently rubbed their sides and heads with my feet.

    An memorable experience. I could sense their intelligence. I'm going to Facebook and Tweet your dolphin item.

    Margot’s Magic Carpet
    Books With a WOW Factor
    http://perfectmagiccarpet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy,
    This is very uplifting. The baby dolphin looks joyful and exuberant.

    I think by getting people to value an individual dolphin is the only way to generate concern for them as a group and hope that the concern broadens to all marine life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the sensitive and heartfelt comments! You are both so insightful about these things, and I'm always so appreciative to hear from you!

    Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete